Saturday, February 27, 2010

THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT YOUR RATS

#2 - YELLOW TEETH


Do your rats have yellow teeth? Don't you worry because it's not a sign of rotting teeth. Rats teeth are naturally coloured with a yellowish pigment which is the natural colour of a rat's enamel. The enamel is the hardest layer on a tooth as the protection shield to a tooth. Rat's incisors started out white when they are infants, but by the age of 21 days the upper incisors will start to have a slight yellow tinge. By 25 days, the uppers are distinctly yellow and the lower incisors have acquired a little yellow. By 38 days these colors are more intense, with the uppers having more color than the lowers. The relationship between more pigmented upper incisors and less pigmented lower incisors remains true throughout the rat's life. In adult rats, the uppers are dark yellow-orange and the lowers are yellow (Addison and Appleton 1915). In short, it is best to have your rats having yellowish teeth because that indicates that their calcium level is good.

2 comments:

  1. I have a pet rat named Luna, I give her enough to eat, drink, and chew on but I noticed her yellow teeth at first I tooth it was nothing but then I began to panic. I was so scared I went searching for a cure, but thanks to you I don't think I need one. Thank you for relieving me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jasmine? I have two pet rats in Australia but couldn't find any in Malaysia. Do you where I can find them in Malaysia? Your reply would be highly appreciated!

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete